Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Land of Prophets/ Peygamberlerin Sehiri

I have a lot of catching up to do with my posts, so let’s get started right away. Since my last post, my first stop was Sanliurfa. The land of prophets, as it is called, has been the birthplace to three prophets. Two of which are prophet Abraham and Job. This town was the most unique town I’ve ever visited in my life. Located between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, this town is in the heart of ancient Mesopotamia. I’ve felt class in Paris, wealth in Florence, energy in Istanbul, but I’ve never felt what I felt in Sanliurfa. As soon as I started walking in the streets, I got this strong feeling of history surrounding me, and I had every right to feel that way. Sanliurfa’s history dates back 12,000 years, and some of the most significant biblical events have happened in this very city. The most historic event that occurred here was of prophet Abraham. As belief goes, Nimrod, a staunch rebel of God, sentences Abraham to death and creates a massive fire in which to throw Abraham. Just as Abraham is to be thrown into the fire, God turns the flames into water, and the burning wood into fish. That’s why the water and the fish swimming around the city are considered sacred. As usual, the food was incredible, and it seems that one can only find the tastes that I found in Dar-ul Beyza. It was the first time I ate in a konak, which is a home with a courtyard in the middle, and two stories filled with rooms. This is the only part of my stay that I can really explain vividly because the reminder of my time there was filled with thoughts of ancient history revolving around me. My overall experience in Sanliurfa was of a uniqueness that probably cannot be lived or felt in many other places in the world. I hope the pictures will do a little bit more justice to the city than my words.

Paris’de klas hissetmistim, Firenze’de zenginlik, Istanbul’da ise enerji, ama Sanliurfa’daki hissetiklerim bambaskaydi. Bu peygamber sehirin 12000 seneye dayanmis durumda, ve bunu cok net bir sekilde hissediyorsun. Sokaklarinda yururken, aninda bir agirlik hissetmeye basladim, buda tarihin getirdigi bir agirlik. Cok degisik bir sehir Sanliurfa…cok. Din tarihisinde Peygamber Ibrahim’i atese vermeye calisan Kral Nemrut’a karsi cikan Allah’in yaratdigi sehirin suyu ve baliklari ayri bir anlam ve mistik katiyor sehire. Anlatabildigim ancak bu kadar. Size olan tavsiyem, gezin ve gorun. Sanirim hissetiklerime biraz daha anlam katar. Bu arada yemekler tabii ki sahaneydi. Dar-ul Beyza’da yedigim kebaplar akilda kalicak lezzetdeydi. Bu eski konak, bir restorana cevrilmis, ve cok da hos olmus. Kendimi bir anda bir osmanli devrinde hissetim, ve biraksalar, orada tum zamanimi gecirirdim. Ama Sanliurfa ziyaretim yarida kalmis oldu. Mevsimden dolayi, yakinda bulunan Nemrut dagi, Ataturk baraji, ve Mardin bir dahaki sefere kaldi. Umarim o seferde pek yakinda olur.


The first two photos are panaromic views of Sanliurfa.  The next photo is of the cuisine.  The following two photos are form the bazaar in Sanliurfa.  The following three photos are from the location in which Abraham fell with the fire turning into water, and the wood turning into fish.  And the final two photos are of the Konak Dar-ul Beyza

No comments:

Post a Comment